Monday, July 22, 2013

Thrift Haul - Globes and Goo

Blah!  The Little Dude and I had a touch seriously disgusting case of the goo last week.  Man, cleaning it out of your own nose is bad enough, but cleaning out boogies that are probably touching your kids brain...GROSS!!!  Thankfully we are over the worst of that nonsense.  I didn't get a lot of thrifting in, but the booth is pretty slow this month, so it's not a big deal.
I found a few good pieces of Pyrex that will be going to the booth soon.  How are you guys doing on the Pyrex front?  Better than me I hope!
The Mom scored this awesome globe last week.  The little compartment is where an atlas is supposed to live.  I'm having a really hard time with the keep/sell decision here.  It's just so cool!  
I found this one.  It's hard to tell from the photo but this thing is freaking huge!  It came from a school and most likely was used as a teachers reference tool.  As soon as the other globes sell, I'll take this to the booth.  I'm more than happy though to hang on to it for a while!
Soooo I found this leather jacket for a crazy good price but I wasn't able to see how it looked before I bought it.  I like everything but the shoulders.  They are 80's boxy and I'm not sure I can live with that.  Do you think it's worth it to have it altered?  Is that even possible with a leather jacket?  
Hopefully we can get more thrifting in this week, plus I'd really like to get to work organizing my sun room/workroom better.  I know, it seems like I do that all the time. And I do...Ugh!  It's a ridiculous never ending battle...
 I'm joining the parties at Apron Thrift GirlSir Thrift A Lot, RemnantMod Vintage LifeThe Thrifty Groove, A Living Space and Joyful Treasure Hunting. Have a great week everyone!


14 comments:

  1. I LOVE the globes, I've had the exact teacher's atlas globe and it came with Atlas books underneath. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you were sick! Hope you are completely on the mend.

    Good Pyrex! Great globes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer colds are awful! Glad you guys on doing better.

    Not sure if you can alter the jacket but it would definitely be worth checking into. Its pretty dang cute!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. My two year old Grandson loves Globes. I have a small one he plays with all the time. Your finds are great!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. "probably touching your kids brain" made me laugh outloud. Good finds on the globes, though, they're so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, the Pyrex front is DRY over here. Send some vibes East my way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you and your little one were sick. Glad you're on the way to recovery. I've been on the hunt for Pyrex but I've found a lot of them chipped or really faded. You could tell they had a lot of love from being used. Hope you're feeling better so you can go thrifting for treasures and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the globes! I don't know which one I like more - they're both awesome!
    I picked up the board game, National Geographic Global Pursuit today for $2. The copyright is 1978, and the trivia cards & inner contents have still not been opened from their original plastic wrap. I opened some, and found it to be great fun.. I thought if it wasn't the map was worth the $2, and their are hexagonal cardboard pieces that fit together as a map of the world, that would make awesome coasters! We'll probably play it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for keeping the globe! The only Pyrex I saw this week was too chipped to bring home, but I didn't make it to my fave Pyrex shop

    ReplyDelete
  10. That over-sized, brightly covered globe is a gem! I have a really hard time letting go of globes as well but they sell so darn well. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with ya on the globes. The more the merrier it seems. Sorry about the cold/kid combo. NOT fun. Amazing how no one mentions all the snot that comes with having kids. I feel like I should take out a billboard to let unsuspecting future parents know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boogies are pretty nasty. Two weeks ago there were two empty seats at the front of the bus (pretty odd, but whatever), so I sat down. Found out right away - the guy had both fingers knuckle deep in his nostrils. It didn't stop either. It went on & on & on & on. I had moved, but I watched in disgust from where I was sitting. I wanted to get up & ask if he needed a tissue. He was at it for a good 10 minutes. I kept telling myself to remember not to touch the spots that he's touched on my way out. I can't remember if I made it. People are so nasty on public transit!

    I know nothing about alterations, but I think the jacket looks great. I say sell that globe. I don't like it very much (sorry). It would be much cooler if the compartment closed. The most interesting globe I ever seen (was dented though) had all the larger countries on it (China, America, Japan..) where they could put a race with the name of the country on the base of the globe. On America, they put a clean cut suburban white boy. That just wouldn't fly these days.

    Horrid on the Pyrex front. Just absolutely horrid. I'm like to the point where I'm all like, "maybe I should just stop collecting?" & then I think maybe I am being dramatic? But I don't know... I don't know... I used to find a lot.. but I don't know what's wrong.

    Sorry, I'm alone all week, that's why I typed so much. I'm lonely. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the globes! I have a couple in my studio and I am never tired of them. The jacket is pretty cool, and I do not mind the boxy shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must be a slow time for all these things we love, I hardly ever see Vera scarves these days!! The Pyrex pieces you did find are nice ones though, I have only ever seen a loaf pan once and I bought it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your advice, tips and comments are sincerely appreciated!!! I need all the help I can get...